Last Revised: February 2021
- This Policy.
- Scope. RPX provides you access to the Website and the Services, subject to the Website’s Terms of Service. In the course of providing access to the Website and the Services, RPX may collect “Personal Information,” which means any information relating to an identified or identifiable natural person (an identifiable natural person is one who can be identified, directly or indirectly, in particular by reference to an identifier such as a name, email address, location data, or to one or more factors specific to the identity of that natural person). RPX does not collect your Personal Information except to allow you to access the Website and to provide the Services or as specifically set forth in this Policy. This Policy should be read alongside our Terms of Service.
- Changes to this Policy. RPX reserves the right to update this Policy from time to time by posting a new Policy on this page, and in some cases where changes are material RPX may also contact you via electronic mail or post a notice on the homepage to let you know of such changes. You are advised to consult this Policy regularly for any changes. Your continued use of the Website after such changes have been made constitutes acceptance of those changes.
- Collection of Information.
- Information that You Provide. RPX collects any information that you voluntarily provide, including when you submit information to register and obtain a login for the Service, join an e-mail list, apply for a job, or when you use the Services available through the Website. Information that you may provide includes your email address, name, phone number, location, details of your education, online social accounts and professional resume or CV. RPX may also collect information that you provide by electronic mail, telephone or other means.
- Automatically Collected Information. RPX may automatically collect certain technical information from your computer or mobile device when you use the Website, such as your Internet Protocol address, your web browser type and version, the name and version of your operating system, the pages you view on the Website, the pages you view immediately before and after you access the Website, and the search terms you enter on the Website. For example, we may collect on a real-time basis information on how you use and navigate the Website. This may include mouse movements and how you scroll through the Website, but we do not collect keystroke data. This information allows RPX to recognize you and personalize your experience if you return to the Website using the same computer or mobile device, to improve the Website and the Services, and to log your access to materials, consents, or other legal agreements governing your use of the Services.
- Cookies. RPX may collect this information using “cookies,” which are small text files that the Website saves on your computer or mobile device, or similar technologies. You can disable cookies in your browser settings, but doing so may affect the functionality of the Website. RPX may also collect information from the Website and the email list using “web beacons,” which are clear electronic images that can recognize certain types of information on your computer, such as cookies, when you viewed a particular website tied to the web beacon, and a description of a website tied to the web beacon or using unique links that can distinguish when individual users click the link. Web beacons and unique links, alone or in conjunction with cookies, may help RPX compile information about your interactions with electronic mail sent to you in connection with the Services.
- Cross-Site Tracking. RPX does not utilize technical measures in the Website to track your activities across different web sites or online services, whether you configure your browser’s Do Not Track feature or otherwise. The Website may utilize third-party application programming interfaces controlled by third parties, such as marketing tracking or login credential services, that may attempt to track your activity across other sites that utilize those interfaces.
- Uses of Information. RPX may collect, use, and otherwise process information about you for a number of purposes, including, but not limited to:
- Accessing the Website and Providing and Improving the Services. RPX uses your information to provide you with the Services, or products, services or information related to the Website:
- To administer or otherwise carry out our obligations in relation to any agreement to which we are a party;
- To respond to queries or requests and to provide support;
- To maintain functionality of our Services and products;
- To provide you information regarding our Services and products;
- To notify you about changes to our Services and products; and
- To offer our products and services to you in a personalized way and to customize your experience when using the Website.
- Analysis. RPX uses your information for improving the quality of the Website and/or the Services and for internal research and development, including by (i) combining or aggregating any of the information collected through the Website or elsewhere for internal research and development, and for generating and analyzing statistics about your use of the Website and user demographics and traffic patterns; and (ii) using anonymized data that may or may not be derived from Personal Information but does not personally identify you to enhance the Services and developing new Service offerings.
- Marketing. If you submit your information to RPX, RPX may provide you with information about the Website, Services or required notices. In addition, RPX may use collected information for delivering marketing communications that may be of interest to you. RPX does not sell or share your Personal Information with other companies so that they can market to you. You have the right to ask RPX not to process your Personal Information for marketing purposes. You can also exercise the right to opt out of marketing emails at any time by contacting RPX at email@example.com, or clicking “unsubscribe” at the bottom of the RPX marketing emails.
- Security. RPX may use your information for safety and security purposes.
- Accessing the Website and Providing and Improving the Services. RPX uses your information to provide you with the Services, or products, services or information related to the Website:
- Disclosures of Information. RPX may share information about you in the following ways:
- Affiliates. We may share your information with our affiliates.
- Consent/At Your Direction. We may share your information with nonaffiliated third parties based on your consent to do so.
- Service Providers. We may share your information with vendors that provide services to us. RPX engages third-party service providers (such as hosting providers and analytics and security providers) to assist in operating and marketing the Services. RPX’s engagement of third-party service providers is often necessary for RPX to provide the Services to you, particularly where such third-party service providers ensure that the Website and Services are operating and secure.
- Security for RPX and Others. We may share your information for safety and security purposes, including (1) to ensure the security of the Website and Services, (2) to detect, prevent and respond to intellectual property infringement, violations of the Website’s Terms of Service, violations of law or other misuse of the Website; and (3) when RPX believes in good faith that disclosure is necessary (A) to protect RPX’s rights or other users of the Website, the integrity of the Website, or your safety or the safety of others, or (B) to detect, prevent or respond to intellectual property infringement, violations of the Website’s Terms of Service, violations of law or other misuse of the Website.
- Legal Requirements. We may share your information (a) if we believe in good faith doing so is necessary to comply with a valid subpoena, legal order, court order, legal process, or other legal obligation; (b) to enforce any of the RPX terms and conditions or policies; or (c) as necessary to resolve disputes, pursue available legal remedies or defend legal claims.
- Business Transfer. We may share your information in connection with or during negotiations of any reorganization, merger, acquisition or sale, joint venture, assignment, transfer or other disposition of all or any portion of RPX’s business, assets or stock, including, without limitation, in connection with any bankruptcy or similar proceeding, provided that any such entity that RPX transfer Personal Information to will not be permitted to process your Personal Information other than as described in this Policy without providing you notice and, if required by applicable laws, obtaining your consent.
- Aggregate/Anonymous Information: From time to time, we may share aggregate/anonymous information about use of the Website and Services, such as by creating reports on usage trends. The sharing of such data is unrestricted.
- Jurisdiction. Information collected through the Website will be stored in, processed in and subject to the laws of the United States, which may not provide the same level of protection for your information as your home country, and may be available to the United States government or its agencies under a lawful order made in the United States. By using the Website, you consent to such transfer to, storage in and processing within the United States.
- Security. RPX is committed to protecting your information from unauthorized access, use or disclosure. The Website and its operators maintain administrative, technical and physical safeguards designed to protect the information collected through the Website; however, no information or communication Website can be 100% secure, so RPX cannot guarantee the absolute security of your information. In addition, RPX is not responsible for the security of information that you transmit to the Website over networks that RPX does not control, including the Internet and wireless networks.
- Retention. RPX will not retain data longer than is necessary to fulfill the purposes for which it was collected or as required by applicable laws or regulations. Information may persist in copies made for backup and business continuity purposes for an additional period of time. If you wish to access, delete, or correct any information RPX holds about you, you may (subject to applicable law) request your information, or request deletion, removal, or correction of your information.
- To enable and support security features, prevent fraud, and protect your data from unauthorized access.
- To enable features and help us provide you with personalized content.
- To analyze how you use the Website and to monitor site performance. These Cookies help us to identify and fix errors, understand and improve services, research and test out different features, and monitor how you reached the Website.
- Third-Party Cookies. RPX may use the following third-party Cookies on the Website:
- Google Analytics. Google Analytics tracks unique visitors to the Website, and provides analytics reports showing website usage and referral sources. It also helps determine whether visitors have arrived at the Website via Google marketing campaigns. See https://policies.google.com/privacy for details.
- Hotjar. Hotjar anonymously tracks visitor behavior on the Website. See https://www.hotjar.com/legal/policies/privacy for details.
- LinkedIn. LinkedIn identifies and verifies user accounts if you use your LinkedIn login credentials and the LinkedIn API to login to the Website. See https://www.linkedin.com/legal/privacy-policy for details.
- Opting Out. You can control and/or delete cookies as you wish – for details, see www.aboutcookies.org. You can delete all cookies that are already on your computer and you can set most browsers to prevent them from being placed. If you do this, however, you may have to manually adjust some preferences every time you visit a site and some services and functionalities may not work as intended by RPX.
- Notice to European Residents: General Data Protection Regulation.
If you are a resident of the European Economic Area or the United Kingdom, RPX will process your Personal Information in compliance with the EU General Data Protection Regulation (“GDPR”).
For information submitted using the Website, RPX Corporation is the data controller, as defined under the GDPR. Where the GDPR applies, we rely on the following legal grounds to process your Personal Information:
- Contractual Commitments. We may use, share, or disclose information to honor our contractual commitments to you. For example, to comply with our Terms, which you accept by browsing or otherwise using our Services.
- With Your Consent: Where required by law, and in some other cases, we use, share, or disclose information on the basis of your consent.
- Legitimate Interests: In many cases, we use, share, or disclose information on the ground that it furthers our legitimate business interests in ways that are not overridden by the interests or fundamental rights and freedoms of the affected individuals, such as customer service, certain promotional activities, analyzing and improving our business and Services, providing security for our Services, preventing fraud, and managing legal issues.
- Legal Compliance: We need to use, share, and disclose information in certain ways to comply with our legal obligations.
In accordance with GDPR, where RPX processes your Personal Information as a data controller, in certain circumstances you will have certain rights, which may include the following:
- right of confirmation;
- right of access;
- right to rectification;
- right to erasure;
- right of restriction of processing;
- right to data portability;
- right to object;
- right to withdraw data protection consent; and
- right to lodge a complaint with a supervisory authority.
Please note, however, that certain information may be exempt from such requests in some circumstances, which may include needing to continue processing your information for our legitimate interests or to comply with a legal obligation. We may request you provide us with information necessary to confirm your identity before responding to your request.
To exercise these rights, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Notice to California Residents: California Consumer Privacy Act
Verified California residents have the right to:
- request and receive disclosure of our personal information collection practices during the prior 12 months, including the categories of personal information we collect, the categories of sources of such information, our business purpose for collecting or sharing such information, and the categories of third parties with whom we share such information;
- request and receive a copy of the personal information we have collected about them during the prior 12 months;
- request and receive disclosure of our information sharing practices during the prior 12 months; and
- request that we delete their personal information.
Please note that certain information may be exempt from such requests under applicable law. For example, we may retain certain information for legal compliance and to secure our Services. We may need certain information in order to provide the Services to you; if you ask us to delete it, you may no longer be able to use the Services.
In order to make a request for disclosure California residents may contact us at email@example.com. To enable us to process your request, we may ask you for information that allows us to reasonably verify your identity (that you are the person about whom we collected personal information) if we have not already verified your identity.
We will not discriminate against you as a result of your exercise of any of these rights.
Selling Information. We do not sell your information for monetary consideration and we do not disclose your information for other valuable consideration as we understand those terms in the CCPA and its implementing regulations.
Using an Authorized Agent. You may submit a request through someone holding a formal Power of Attorney. Otherwise, you may submit a request using an authorized agent only if (1) you provide the authorized agent with written permission to make a request and (2) you verify your own identity directly with us.
During the past 12 months, we may have collected the following categories of personal information for business or commercial purposes:
- Identifiers such as your name, email address, phone number or postal address;
- Electronic network activity such as browsing or search history, IP address and Website interactions;
- Commercial information, such as transactional history;
- Sensory information, such as recordings of customer support calls;
- Protected characteristics, such as when you provide us with information about your race or ethnicity;
- Documents or other information related to a legal matter or similar information such as litigation history;
- Professional, educational or employment related information including office location, job title, and/or description of role; and
- Inferences drawn from the above about your preferences, characteristics, etc.
We collect the categories of personal information identified above from the following sources: (1) directly from you; (2) from third parties, including third-party marketing and data partners; and (3) automatically through your use of the Website.
We collect the categories of personal information identified above for the following business and commercial purposes:
- To maintain legal and regulatory compliance;
- Security detection, protection and enforcement;
- Functionality debugging/error repair;
- Customize user experience;
- Perform services for you;
- Engage in marketing activities;
- Internal research and development;
- Audit transactions;
- Underwrite insurance applications; and
- Review and process employment applications;
- Third-Party Websites. The Website and communications from RPX may contain links to websites operated by third parties. You acknowledge and agree that RPX is not responsible for the collection and use of your information by such websites that are not under RPX’s control. RPX encourages you to review the privacy policies of each website you visit.
- Children’s Information. The Website is not directed to, nor does RPX knowingly collect information from, children under the age of 18. If you become aware that your child or any child under your care has provided information without your consent, please contact RPX immediately using the contact information provided below.
- Other Agreements. You may from time to time enter into binding legal agreements relating to certain Services available through the Website, which may have terms that are different from those of this Policy. In the event of any inconsistency, the terms of such other agreement shall control with respect to such Services.
- Contact Information. If you have any questions about this Policy or the collection or use of information about you, please write to RPX at firstname.lastname@example.org or Four Embarcadero Center, Suite 4000, San Francisco, CA 94111.